You know that girl at your gym all decked out in Lululemon who always looks so fabulous on the elliptical? Well, she may not automatically get a better workout than you, but there is a serious sense of confidence and power that comes from working out in well-fitting, high-quality clothes. Here are five gym staples from our Trainer-in-Chief to invest in for a better workout:
1. Sneakers. This is a big one. If you’re a runner, invest the time and money to get your run analyzed by a professional (lots of running stores do this for free!), so you know you’re getting the right amount of support. If you only train with weights, less cushioning is often more: consider trying a minimalist shoe. And never train in those “shape-up” shoes. They mess with the way you move, and we just don’t have enough research about possible long-term effects!
2. Sports bra. Make sure you match the amount of bra support with the activity you plan on doing. Use a high-impact bra for running and jumping, and a low-impact bra for things like yoga and Pilates to feel more comfortable. Either way, invest in a good brand to ensure you’re getting well-designed support and breathable materials.
3. Non-slip elastic hairties. These don’t have to be expensive, and they’ll save you from having to stop to fix your hair during tough workouts. Always have a few extra in your gym bag (I like to store mine in an empty Altoids tin to keep them organized!).
4. Athletic socks. If you’re a distance runner, hiker, or even power walker, the right socks can make or break your workout. Invest in a few good pairs of no-slip socks made for your sport (it will usually say on the back of the package) and with enough wicking material to keep your footsies fresh and dry!
5. The perfect three-quarter-length legging. Everyone has their own gym style, but sweatpants tend to get in the way, and shorts tend to ride up or make people feel self-conscious while they move. The three-quarter-legging is a great solution, and can be ultra flattering to boot. Try one that has a fold-down waistband for the best fit, and spend the time finding a pair that makes you look great. Because when you look good, you feel good…and during a workout, every little boost counts.