You know that feeling when it’s time to hit the gym but you just can’t seem to get in the right mood? Maybe its rainy, maybe you’re tired, maybe your couch is calling to you, or maybe you just…don’t…wanna. Here are a few ways you can trick yourself into getting psyched for your workout — all for less than a cup o’ fro-yo!
1. Bright colors. For $2 you can buy brightly colored shoelaces or a headband. Research has shown that the color red can stimulate and motivate us by tapping into a primal aggression response. I myself prefer neon yellow or orange. But either way, having something new (and bright) to look at can give you a little jolt of motivation. It might not seem like much, but it might be enough to get you off and running!
2. Fun new workout app. There are tons to choose from, so go with what gets you excited. RunKeeper tracks your route and lets you post your successes onto social media sites, and iMuscle will give you a breakdown of excercises for each body part—and even show you how to do them! Nike Training Club, Fitocracy, and My Fitness Pal are all worth a search, and many of them offer free versions.
3. One great song. Pick your workout genre or your favorite artist, and shell out for the one song that you can’t get enough of. Right now I’m obsessed with Snoop Dogg’s “I Just Wanna Make You Sweat” and the dance remix of Lana Del Rey’s “Video Games.” Listen while you warm up and you’ll find yourself raring to go in no time.
4. Cup of coffee. It’s amazing how quickly a little caffeine can convince you that it’s time to get up and MOVE, plus studies show that downing a cup of Joe 30-60 minutes before you hit the gym can actually make your workout feel easier.
5. Notebook. Keep a log of all your workouts in one place, and you’ll always have a resource for instant motivation. I like to write down the specifics of every workout, so that my improvements from one week to the next are obvious. At the very least, repeating last week’s plan takes the guesswork out of your gym time, which makes showing up less daunting!