Sure, there is the usual: fireworks, barbecues, parades. But there are other ways to show your love of country this Independence Day—and many of these activities show a love of wallet, too. Because what’s more American than helping others and saving some Benjamins?
1. Don’t know much about U.S. history: No, doodling in your mandatory U.S. history class doesn’t count! We’re talking about the way the U.S. is today and how it has drastically developed from those historic heroes and significant events. Spend a little less time on your Facebook and instagram apps and check out this fun, free and interactive iPhone app: US History. There are random trivia facts, interactive timelines, and slideshows with quizzes about the past. Sounds like a new party game to us, right?
2. 4th of July freebees: What could be more fun than celebrating the promise of America with free (or practically free) food and swag? A few days before the 4th of July, Google search “4th of July Freebies” to see what’s in store. There are tons of online giveaways during this time on anything from kitchen appliances to food delivery to beauty samples. And your goodies will arrive just in time for you to beat those back-to-work blues.
3. (Healthy) American dessert: You may have thought that the words “healthy” and “dessert” could never appear in a sentence together, but, you’d be wrong. Whether you’re spending time with close family or attending a 4th of July bash, skip the cliché over-priced supermarket American flag cakes. Instead, make fruit flags. All you need is 7 kebab sticks, 20 blueberries, 10 half-cut strawberries and 17 banana slices per flag. The first four sticks have five blueberries at the top and the rest is alternated bananas and strawberry pieces to symbolize the stripes. It’s a fun, creative, and healthy dessert that shouts “patriotic” on a plate.
4. Help U.S. veterans and their families: HirePatriots.com is one of the most popular sites and job boards in the nation. The site attracts thousands of people weekly from every demographic of civilian, veteran and business. Posting and advertising on HirePatriots.com helps thousands of U.S. veterans and their families, while also promoting your business or company. And if you’re a veteran yourself, there are lots of interesting, well-paying jobs out there just waiting for you to apply!
5. Give your time: What better way to be American than to help lend a hand to your fellow Americans? Check out volunteermatch.org, the organization that offers a variety of online services to support a community of nonprofit, volunteer and business leaders committed to civic engagement. With more than 93,000 nonprofit organizations, you can easily get matched with volunteer actives in your area. Bonus: volunteer time looks great on your resume.