1. Plant your pad. Revamp your home by adding a little green to it. You’ve taken down all the holiday decor, but you still want your place to look lively, especially when you’re snowed in for more days than you can count. So start by adding some potted plants. Not only will they remind you that spring isn’t that far away, but, according to a study published in the Journal of Environmental Horticulture, they’ll help to reduce dangerous airborne microbes while boosting your productivity. #Winning on both accounts.
2. Opt for baking soda. Make this household staple your new go-to for at-home cleaning creations. Simply sprinkle on a damp sponge and use it to clean counter tops, sinks, bathtubs, and ovens. Not only does it cut grease, but it also removes odor: shake it over your carpets and vacuum those icky smells away. It also makes a great (and natural) tarnish remover: add a cup of baking soda and a dash of salt into a pan filled with piping hot water and lined with aluminum foil. Let the utensils soak in the baking-soda-filled-water and watch the tarnish disappear.
3. DIY face mask. Let’s be serious: we love to pamper ourselves, but after the holidays and all that glorious giving, money is tight. Proposed solution? Get your girl friends together on a Saturday afternoon and make your own skin clearing mask. Puree clementines, ground oats, honey, jojoba oil, and water as desired to make a consistency you like best. Apply a thin layer over your face and neck and leave it on for 10 minutes. Glowing skin a la Recessionista!
4. Switch to eco-friendly cleaning products. We like Mrs. Meyers, which is available at Whole Foods and many home goods stores. Mrs. Meyers offers tough grime-fighting cleaners without the harsh chemicals at affordable prices. Not to mention, every product is “earth friendly, cruelty-free and not tested on animals.”
5. Go paperless. If you haven’t already, DO IT. Go online and opt for paperless bills when possible for monthly payments like cable and banking. Then, log into your bank online and set up automatic payments right from your checking account. Trust us, less paper = less hassle, and a smaller footprint tracing from your wallet. Plus, you’ll do a better job at paying bills on time and have all previous statements available at your fingertips. Kiss those ever rising stamp prices goodbye and save some serious cash.