1. Always be Exploring: The “Explore” tab in Foursquare gives you personalized recommendations on places you’re likely to enjoy based on things like your location, the time of day, and the places you’ve checked in at in the past. Nearby businesses offering specials frequently appear in the Explore tab. You can also use Explore specifically to view all of the places near you offering specials — it’s like a radar for awesome deals!
2. “Like” your favorite spots on Foursquare: It pays to like things. If you’ve checked in several times at a particular store within the last few months, or you’ve explicitly “liked” them on Foursquare, anytime they push out a money-saving special, or any other information on events, new inventory, etc., it will appear in your “friends” tab when you’re near that place so you’ll never miss a great sale at one of your favorite spots.
3. Check in before you check out: There are more than 1 million businesses around the world using Foursquare’s merchant platform, and many of these businesses offer deals or discounts simply for checking in for the first time, or checking in with a few friends. Always check in before you check out to make sure you’re not missing out on any specials at the places you visit.
4. Don’t forget about Lists: Foursquare Lists are a great way to keep track of places you’d like to visit, or discover shops that your friends and favorite brands love. Just go to foursquare.com/lists to search the more than half a million lists on Foursquare for bargain shopping spots, discount stores, and more.
5. Sync your American Express card: If you have an American Express card, be sure to sync it with your Foursquare account here. Cardholders that have synced their Foursquare accounts get access to exclusive discounts that can be seamlessly redeemed once you check in. The money you save will be automatically credited to your AMEX account in 3-5 business days.
And for behind-the-scenes footage from Foursquare HQ, be sure to check out this interview with Founder Dennis Crowley!