It can feel daunting trying to tackle those “big changes” for the new year ahead (you know, getting in rockstar shape, finding your dream job, moving into that penthouse…). But sometimes it’s the little (and inexpensive!) things that can make a huge impact. Try these 7 nifty ideas for a new year that’s fresh, fun, and financially together:
1. File folders. Buy them. Not just for the obvious things like bills, tax forms, and receipts, but for those “where do I put this?” things like a copy of your lease, your gym membership contract, and utility agreements. This way you can keep track of how much you’re being charged each month — and be in a better position to contest fee hikes or erroneous charges. Give yourself two hours to organize and file everything away and you’ll re-emerge a happier, more sane person — guaranteed.
2. Get the app. Wanna get the most out of your taxes this year? Download the TurboTax SnapTax app and start filing right from your phone. All you need to do is snap a picture of your W-2 and the gizmo starts chugging the numbers for you. Once finished, you decide whether to file online or by mail.
3. Roll pre-tax style. If you’re taking public transit at least once per day, you likely qualify for a monthly unlimited metro card which in most cities adds up to less than $2.00 per ride. Many companies will also offer their employees these cards at pre-tax rates for even greater savings. Don’t spend your valuable paycheck simply getting to work, dummy!
4. Cans and bottles for a cause. Do a little good for the world and your wallet. Save your cans and bottles for redemption at your local grocery store or redemption center and then donate the returns to your favorite charity. The donation is tax deductible, makes a difference, and is more eco-friendly than just throwing them away (tisk tisk!). Bonus: it’s a great excuse to throw a party and watch those donation dollars add up!
5. Get your flu shot. Don’t let sick days slow you down from doing your best at work. The vaccination is covered by most insurance plans (aka, FREE) and available at most pharmacies. Call ahead to check availability and remember: it takes up to two weeks to kick in. You can’t get ahead at work if you’re home watching re-runs of Mob Wives, right?
6. Coffee to go. We’re the biggest proponents around for buying your daily latte should you choose to (hello, productivity!), but be smart about it. Download the app for your fav coffee chain for daily savings. For example, Starbucks offers its card-carrying members savings on milk, syrup, and refills. Many other chains offer free refunds with your receipt on the same day of original purchase. Coffee break, anyone?
7. Dry-clean at home. One word: Dryel. Buy it, use it, love it. Just spray the solution onto dry-clean only clothes (cashmere sweaters, silk tops, you name it!), zip them inside the included laundry bag with one of their special dryer sheets, and throw it in a conventional dryer for around 20 minutes. Your clothes come out clean, smelling fresh, and wrinkle-free for less than $2.00 each. We love it for pillow covers and gym clothes, too!